Monday, June 7, 2010

Recipe for Lavender Coconut Kamut Cookies (vegan)


These cookies were a big hit at three events this weekend, and a bunch of people asked me for the recipe, so I figured I'd post it for all over you. (I reinvented this recipe from one that inspired me from my favorite cookbook: "How it all Vegan," by Tanya Barnard & Sarah Kramer.)

  • 2 super ripe, soft bananas
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup sweetener (dehydrated cane juice is best, stevia also works)
  • 1/2 cup organic coconut oil
  • 3 tsp coconut, soy, almond or rice milk
  • 1 cup kamut flour (whole wheat flour or spelt also works well)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup rolled oat flakes
  • 1 cup shredded coconut (or more!)
  • 3 - 4 tbsp of dried lavender flowers

Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. In a medium sized bowl, blend together the mashed bananas, vanilla, sweetener, oil and milk until smoothe. (Hand blender or food processor works best.) In another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and cinnamon. Stir in the oat flakes, coconut and lavender flowers. Next, slowly fold in the banana mixture and mix well. Scoop small macaroon sized portions onto a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes. Let them cool a little before tasting. Makes about 20 small cookies.

Please tell me what you think!

1 comment: