Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day 67 - Community support heals headaches


I feel like I'm at that point in the marathon where, although I'm past the halfway mark, I'm feeling very tired and there's still so much further to go. Seriously, there have been several times this week where 108 sun salutations seems like 108 million and each one is really effortful. But here's where things get interesting and I am so grateful to have people practice with on days like this.

Today was particularly challenging, because I woke up with a bad headache, which turned into one of those migraines that make you want to puke. I had so many errands to do in preparation for a big party I'm hosting at my studio on Friday. However, this time, I refused to take any pain killers, because I really wanted to stay in contact with the pain, so I could better understand it. As I wrote in the past, the reason I don't like pain killers is because they numb me and I have no reference to how I'm really feeling. So, even though I'm clearly under strain, with a pain killer, I can push myself harder because I don't feel the discomfort or pain. The result is that later, when the pills where off, the problem is still there and usually I have an even worse headache. Anyway, I didn't want to go through that again today, so all day I just observed how I was feeling and how I was breathing.

I noticed that taking deep breaths was soothing and so was eating. My soy latte also gave me a little relief. But I was still concerned because I was scheduled to lead a 108 practice at Island Gym in L'Île-Perrot at 7pm. And indeed the first third of the practice was almost murderous, but then slowly I started to feel better. I think it had something to do with the breathing and movement and for the energy of the people practicing with me.

Steve Maier, a strong yoga teacher I've know for ten years hosted me in his class at the gym. There were more than 20 of us and the group was enthusiastic and committed. I think this, combined with Steve's help in teaching, really helped me get through the practice and clear the headache. I also had a few students join me from Om West, which was a bonus.

I'm now at home and feeling relaxed. I'm really thankful for all the people who are supporting me in this journey, this pilgrimage. It makes a such a difference in my energy. It's inspiring. Plus, it no longer feels like me alone. It feels like a community project.

OH, AND WE RAISED $207.08 for the DAVID SUZUKI FOUNDATION TONIGHT!!! Awesome. Thank you so much.


Video chat with instructor Steve Maier



PS I forgot to mention the reiki treatment my friend Isabelle did on me at a distance. I'm sure that helped as well. (By the way, Isabelle is an incredible healer-- acupressure, reflexology and reiki. I highly recommend her. Her contact is serenityflow@hotmail.com, in case you are interested.)

No comments:

Post a Comment