Monday, July 5, 2010

Recipe: Vegan Banana Bread

Yesterday, being my "Suzy Homemaker Day", I made this delicious banana bread with some brown bananas in the house. It's a vegan recipe inspired from my favourite cookbook, How it all Vegan by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer, and it was very tasty, so I thought I'd share it with you. (I tweaked it out a bit and changed the name.)


Banana Rama Date Bread
  • 3 riped bananas (mashed)
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup oil (I used sesame, but coconut would also be awesome)
  • 1/2 sweetener (evaporated cane juice)
  • 1/2 dates (chopped)
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup wheat germ
  • 4-5 tbsp ground chia or flax seeds
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp backing powder
(Preheat the oven to 375F.) In a small bowl mash up the bananas either with a fork or with clean hands. (I prefer my hands.) Next, add the lemon juice, oil, sweetener and dates. Then in a separate larger bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Then add in the banana mixture and stir together until 'just mix.' Pour batter into a lightly grease loaf pan, and bake for 50 - 60 minutes. Test with a fork to see if it's cooked. Let it set for 10 minutes before cutting.

Serve with tea or jam or butter or something else you might enjoy with your Banana Rama Date Bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment