Friday, August 6, 2010

Reflections one week later


Hello my friends,

I just want to let you know that all is well with me. I am slowly emerging from the 32 hour yoga marathon practice and this blissful 108 day journey. I am unharmed. My muscles were a little sore last Wednesday, the day after, but all and all, I feel good. (Especially after being a sloth for a couple of days. Here's a photo Craig took on Aug 4th, the 'day after'. Jamie, Craig and I sprawled on the couch eating pizza and watching a movie.)

I am still processing the events of the last week along with all the attention my story has received. (An article about the marathon was published in The Times of India on Aug 4. And yesterday one of the editors from Yoga Journal called the studio to congratulate me. I have know idea how all these people heard about this, but it is very funny to me. I suppose this is my 15 minutes of fame!) The whole experience is still surreal to me. I keep finding myself questioning, "Did I really do 108 days of 108 sun salutations? Did I actually do 32 hours of yoga? How did I do this?"

I am currently going through all the footage of the 32 hour practice and listing all 1008+ postures I did. (I need to submit a final list of poses for my Guinness application, which is nearly complete.) This is a tedious process and I've been working on all day, but the more time I spend looking at the videos the more emotional I'm becoming. It feels like I am experiencing the whole 32 hour practice all over, at least the emotions of it. It's intense.

I've actually been getting emotional quite a bit lately. I am so touched by all the notes and messages I've been received. One woman who came for the last two hours of my practice told me after that being in the studio at the final minutes of the challenge made her think of all the unmanifested dreams they still have and how they too could be realized. I become teary every time I am reminded that this wasn't just about me. This was a shared experience that I would not have been as powerful if even one of those people visiting, practicing or volunteering hadn't been there. It was like an alchemy of the energy of everyone present. I really felt like I was simultaneously being lifted and grounded by the people around me. I feel so so so grateful for all your support.

At first, it was strange to practice knowing that there were about a dozen sets of eyes on me, watching and noting my every move. But then I moved into a different space, where I was so intently focused on every aspect of my body and practice and they, the witnesses, timekeepers, camera operators, spectators and practitioners, became an integral part of this journey. They allowed me to enter even deeper consciousness, one that helped me let go and dive into unknown waters of transformational bliss. It was very powerful.

The hardest part of the 32 hours for me was 5:30 pm to 10:00 pm. One of the breaks got mixed up and I ended up having to do a four hour and twenty minute set, as opposed to a four hour one. It also seemed that at that point, I was still so far off my goal time and dusk was settling in. There were also a thunder storm, so it became dark very quickly, which didn't help

But, the night practice from 11pm to 7am was truly amazing. That's when, as Craig said, "All the rockstars came in." Len Blum, the reformed Hollywood writer of The Pink Panther, Howard Stern's Private Parts and other block busters, was the yoga teacher witness over night and he was so fantastic. He was alert the whole time and offered me several wonderful adjustments. My parents also came into the studio with their yoga mats in hand for the "2 am yoga class," and my brother hung out with us as well. The team of witnesses and timekeepers included some very cool people. However, the highlight for the night for me was when Miranda read Rumi poetry aloud for about an hour straight. She has such an amazing voice and she is such an intellectual. Marie-Marguerite Sabongui also joined us for encouragement. She was such a trooper. But alas, the MVP of the night, would have to be my boyfriend Craig. He was (and is) my right hand. He was so devoted to this whole project from Day 1 doing the photos, practicing with me, reading over my blog posts at night, and during the final 32 hours, he was champion. He dealt with and oversaw every issue that came up, he catered to not just my needs (smoothies, electrolyte beverages, etc.), but also made sure that every volunteer was comfortable at all times.

So now, one week later, it seems like a life time has passed since my 108 days. I admitted to Craig this evening that I'm a little nostalgic for the practice and the blogging days. He reminded be that this is a new beginning and that there is no reason to pause my blog. Very true.

I have been practicing here and there. I did 90 sun salutations on Sunday outside in the country, which felt amazing. My plan is to practice six days a week (Sunday to Friday) and do one 108 practice a week. As I said, I'd like to develop a practice that follows and supports the hormonal changes in a woman's body throughout the month. But first, I want to close this Guinness chapter and submit all my paperwork for their review. Hopefully, I will be able to send everything tomorrow and maybe go on vacation to Maine!

By the way, so far, we've raised close to $2500 for the Stephen Lewis Foundation. Thank you Thank you Thank you! My goal is $10,800. So, I'm continuing to fundraise until Dec. 1.

If you want to make a donation, here's the link to my online fundraising page:
http://stephenlewisfoundation.akaraisin.com/p/yasminyoga.aspx



PS I started writing this post on Friday, Aug 6 and finished it on Wed. Aug 11




1 comment:

  1. Hey! I'm glad to hear that you're doing fine... and happy to hear about you.... I did miss this blog also... it was my daily inspiration for 108 days after all!!! As for how all those people heard about this, don't forget the 6 degree of separation rule... and people talk! what you're doing is so amazing!!!
    take care!
    nath
    xxx

    ReplyDelete